L: old Edwards bldg. (Mitford) R: Sir Salimullah Medical College, Mitford
Dhaka Medical College Hospital, 1400 bed, Ramna
BSMM University (PG Hospital) 1500 bed at Shahbagh
PG Hospital, Shahbagh
Sohrawardy Hospital 500 bed, SB Nagar
Dhaka Shishu (Children) Hospital 557 bed estb. in 1972
ZH Sikder Women's Medical College & Hospital, 1992
Armed Forces Medical College, Dhaka Cantonment
BIRDEM (Bangladesh Institute for Research in Diabetis Endocrine Metabolism) 600+100 bed and Ibrahim Cardiac Hospital 115 bed, Shahbagh.
Apollo Hospital, 450 bed in Basundhara R/A, a joint venture hospital
United Hospital, 450 bed in Gulshan 2 - a joint venture hospital
Centre for Rehabilitation of Paralized at Mirpur
Institute of Child Mother Health Care
Square Hospital, 300 bed at Panthapath - a joint venture hospital
Sikder Medical Clinic, Gulshan
Ahsania Mission Cancer Hospital 500 bed at Uttara (under construction)
Bangladesh Eye Hospital, Agargaon
Islamia Eye Hospital, Farmgate
Dental college and Hospital, Mirpur
Sir Salimullah Medical College and Mitford Hospital: A government medical college and hospital in Bangladesh situated in the old part of capital city, Dhaka overlooking the Buriganga river. It is affiliated with the University of Dhaka.
Mitford hospital is the oldest hospital in the country and also one of the earliest hospitals in this subcontinent. The hospital has a significant historical background. The initiative for building the hospital was taken in 1820 by Sir Robert Mitford, the Collector of Dhaka and also a long serving judge of the Provincial Court of Appeal. During his time, cholera was an epidemic spreading at an alarming rate and hundreds of people died every day in Dhaka when it broke out. Sir Mitford was shocked to see the meager medical facilities available and the sufferings of the people. Before his death in 1836, he bequeathed his property to the government of Bengal to build something for the welfare of the marginalised and sick people. The total amount of his donated wealth was worth Rs 1, 60,000 and Mitford Hospital started its journey. Later on some notable local people also donated money to build this hospital. Construction was started on its present site, then known as 'Katra Pakurtali,' and inaugurated on 1st May 1858 with with two male and one female ward of total 92 beds.
Starting with the treatment of simple but prevalent diseases like cholera, diarrhea, fever, anaemia, etc. it has expanded vastly now to provide multidisciplinary treatment facilities for other diseases.
A Medical School attached to the hospital, the first of its kind in this region was established on 15th June, 1875. The Academic building of Medical School was established with the help of 16 kings and some others social workers. The school offered a four-year course leading to a diploma of LMF (Licentiate of Medical Faculty) offered by the State Medical Faculty. A total number of 384 students got admitted in the school in the first batch. The LMF course was abandoned in 1957 and the school was converted to Medical College in 1962. It was named "Sir Sallimullah Medical College" (SSMC) after the name of Nawab Sir Salimullah and started on 8th February 1973. Every year 175 new students are given admission. The Postgraduate course was introduced in January 2002.
DMCH (Dhaka Medical College and Hospital): Govt medical college and hospital established in 1946 during British rule, it is considered the top medical college in Bangladesh.
Situated at the heart of the city in Ramna, Dhaka Medical College and its affiliate Hospital were accommodated in a building constructed in 1904 as the Secretariat Building for the newly created province of ‘East Bengal and Assam’. After annulment of the new province, the building was transferred to the newly established University of Dhaka in 1921. South-East part of the building was allotted for use of Academic wing of the Faculty of Arts while other parts converted into the university's medical centre and student dormitory. In 1939, Dhaka University Council requested to the then British Government for establishing a medical college in Dhaka. The bureaucratic tangle took 10 years for the Medical College and Hospital to start operation. During World War II, the medical centre and dorm was used by Govt. as "American Base Hospital". When the Americans left, it was transferred whereas a 100- hundred bed hospital was established. This created the base of the DMCH. In July 1946, medical college started its journey with less than 150 students in all years for a 5-years degree course. In the beginning, only four departments - Medical, Surgery, Gynaecology and ENT started. After partition of Bengal in 1947, the college and hospital were expanded to become the premier medical institution of the country. The institute did not have any hostel for students at the beginning. The college and hospital premises were expanded in new temporary sheds built around, some of which were built for outdoor services of the hospital and some others for students' hostels. New buildings for hostel, college and hospital were constructed in phases: a hostel for girls in 1952, a hostel for male students in 1954-55, a new complex of academic buildings in 1955, and a hostel for internee doctors in 1974-75 etc. Further expansion of college and hospital is still continuing.
The college has now 12 departments- anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, community medicine, forensic medicine, pathology, microbiology, medicine, surgery, nuclear medicine, and obstetrics and gynaecology. There are 8 laboratories for each of the department of physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, pharmacy, histology, histo-pathology, clinical pathology, and microbiology. The medical college has about 200 teachers and over 1,000 students. The annual intake of fresh students in its undergraduate programme is 180. The college also offers 39 different postgraduate courses that include master of surgery (MS) in branches like urology, neurosurgery and orthopaedic surgery, doctor of medicine (MD) in paediatrics, master of philosophy (MPhil) in radiology, and diplomas in a number of disciplines such as anaesthesiology, ophthalmology, laryngology, gynaecology and obstetrics, child health and cardiology. About 1100 MBBS students and 900 doctors are in postgraduate program.
The various buildings of DMCH and other facilities now stand on 25 acres of land. It has 34 departments and 42 wards- 234 doctors, 140 interns, 560 nurses and more than 1100 staff to ensure 24-hour health service. The number of beds in wards, units and cabins total over 2,200. Its occupancy rate is about 130%. It provides both indoor and outdoor services and serves about 3,000 outdoor patients daily The complex accommodate hospital wings, college on north, hostels, nurses hostel, built in phases.
Dhaka Medical College dormitory (known as Barrack) was the heart of the language movement from 1948 to 1952. There was about 20 tin shed barracks where the medical students resided. Several barracks were situated at the same place the Central Shaheed Minar is right now. Being close to the then Parliament of East Pakistan (presently Jagannath Hall of DU), the medical barracks were chosen as the centre of the student movement due to strategic reasons. The Shaheed Minar for language movement was established within DMCH compound which was later separated.
BSMMU: It is the only medical university in Bangladesh. Former 'Institute of Postgraduate Medicine and Research' (IPGMR), popularly known as PG Hospital, has been renamed in 1998 as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University. It was established in 1965 with an aim to providing postgraduate medical education in Bangladesh. The university is autonomous governed by a syndicate comprising 24 members. It comprises of 31 Departments under 4 faculties. The university campus is located in the place of Hotel Shahbagh, once the biggest hotel of Dhaka city at Shahbagh, Ramna. It has a compact campus with five buildings, a hospital of 1500 bed and a library. It's faculties are Medicine, Surgery, Basic Sciences and Dentistry.
BIRDEM: The Diabetic Association of Bangladesh was established in 1956 in Dhaka at the initiative of the late National Professor Dr M Ibrahim (1911-1989) and a group of social workers, philanthropists, physicians and civil servants. He realized that diabetes is such a disease where not only doctors but patients should be involved in the process of diabetic care. He thought the matter as a socio-medical care. The Diabetic Association of Bangladesh was set up in a tin-shed of about 380 sq ft at Segun Bagicha . It was committed to give primary care to the diabetic patients free of cost irrespective of socio-economic, racial or religious status. Rich patients were not allowed to buy the primary diabetic care, but they could donate money to the association. Over the years, the clinic has turned into a diabetes care and research complex at Shahbag, Dhaka, which, after the demise of Prof M Ibrahim in 1989, has been renamed as the Ibrahim Memorial Diabetes Centre.
Diabetic Association of Bangladesh (BADAS) executes this program primarily through its central institute called the Bangladesh Institute of Research & Rehabilitation in Diabetes, Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders (BIRDEM). It has the largest diabetic Out-Patient turnover in the world under a single roof and has about 600 bed In-Patient hospital with all modern disciplines of medicine plus 100 bed exclusively for women and child in Segunbagicha. BIRDEM conducts the largest number of postgraduate courses in the private sector. With large umber of international collaborations the Institute is now widely acclaimed as one of the most advanced research center in the world by the WHO. It is the First of its kind outside of Europe. (ref: http://www.dab-bd.org/). The BIRDEM Academy division conducts post-graduate courses under the University of Dhaka & Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU).
Ibrahim Cardiac Hospital & Research Institute: The Diabetic Association of Bangladesh expanded its activities in almost every fields of medical science as the diabetes affects all vital organs of the body. In pursuance of this quest, Ibrahim Cardiac Hospital & Research Institute has been established as a not-for profit organization to prevent and treat cardiac patients, to create awareness and to develop skilled man power. It has already established itself as a highly reputed cardiac institute in the country with a team of dedicated doctors, nurses, technicians and efficient support service management team. Keeping the trend of continuous expansion the bed numbers of the hospital was expanded to 115 and it is planned to make it 150 within very short time.
Shahid Suhrawardy Medical College & Hospital: Public hospital established in 1963 at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar in Dhaka as a general hospital with all modern facilities and is owned and managed by the government. Its buildings and the compound stand on an area of about 19 acres in the 'zone of Medical Institution’ at Sher-E-Bangla Nagar. The hospital has 375 bed and expansion going on to increase upto 500 bed. The medical College (Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College) attached to the hospital was inaugurated here in 2006. The college is surrounded by by many other specialized hospitals, such as, the National Institute of Cardiac and Vascular Disease, the National Eye Hospital, the National Kidney Institute and the National Mental Hospital. There are about 900 students with a staff of 2000 in the college. Two hostel buildings have been built behind the hospital building. A new eight storied medical college building is under construction for the increased demand of the lectures, tutorial and practical rooms as well as teachers accommodations. When the construction work will be finished the whole medical college campus will be shifted from the old building to new one.
The National Institute & Hospital for Heart (Cardiac and Vascular Disease) has regular beds for 400 patients (occupied by about 700 patients), 38 bed ICU, 28 bed Post CCU, 24 cabins and 7 wards. The hospital is equipped with modern machinery and equipments.
Dhaka Shishu (Children) Hospital: A 557-bed hospital established in 1972 in shere-e-Bangla nagar flourished into teaching and tertiary level hospital with full range of clinical services. The hospital has been the pioneer in providing child health care in Bangladesh and is the largest children hospital in the country. It offers a full range of clinical services and is supported by a team of highly qualified paediatric consultants and a group of skilful technical staff. The hospital also provides postgraduate training in Paediatrics and is affiliated with Dhaka University, BSMMU and BCPS. The academic wing - Bangladesh Institute of Child Health (ICH) in London, ICH in Edinburg and Johns Hopkins University in USA to provide collaborative and child healthcare.
United Hospital: Opened in August 2006 and situated besides Gulshan Lake, this hospital is one of the largest private sector healthcare facilities in Bangladesh. With a capacity to house over 450 patients and established across a total covered area of over 400,000 sft, the hospital has 11 state of the art operation theatres.
The departments of cardiology, gynaecology, orthopaedic and paediatrics are staffed by the most esteemed doctors in their respective fields. Over 12 heart related surgeries done per day alone since inception (http://www.uhlbd.com/physician.php?id=3)
Apollo Hospitals Dhaka: Apollo Hospitals Dhaka is the only JCI Accredited 450-bed multi-disciplinary super-specialty tertiary care hospital in Bangladesh, confidently providing comprehensive health care with the latest medical, surgical and diagnostic facilities. These services are provided by expert medical professionals, skilled nurses and technologists using state-of-the-art technology. The hospital started its operation on April 16, 2005. It is an eleven-storied building built on 4 acres of land with 435,000 sq ft floor space constructed with assistance of renowned architecture company Smith Group, USA. The hospital is a joint project of Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited and STS Holdings Limited (STS Group).
Apollo Hospitals Dhaka has all the characteristics of a world-class hospital with wide range of services and specialists, equipments and technology, ambience and service quality. The patients have ready access to more than 29 specialized departments and services established as national referral centres, 5 Centres of Excellence and 5 Strategic Business Units. The hospital also offers a complete Dialysis Unit for the treatment of patients with kidney disorders. The hospital has 1.5 Tesla MRI, 64 Slice CT Scan, Color Doppler, Ultrasound, and Gamma Camera, which have created the most modern Radiology and Nuclear Medicine service in the country, with equipment that is faster and capable of conducting a wide range of examinations with a higher degree of detail. This is in addition to EEG, EMG, neurophysiology, ECG, stress test, pulmonary function test, etc. the international standard Lab Medicine conducts External Quality Control Program with Bio-Rad, USA and offers a variety of modern tests and diagnostic tools, some of which are not available anywhere else in Bangladesh, with regular additions (http://www.apollodhaka.com/contactus.php).
Square Hospitals: A concern of Square Group is a 320-bed tertiary care hospital. The hospital is an affiliate partner of Methodist Healthcare, Memphis, Tennessee, USA, SingHealth, Singapore, Bangkok Hospital Medical Centre, Thailand and Christian Medical College, Vellore, India.